Wednesday, 1 July 2009

Ask and ye shall receive

I've been in awe of Amanda at Kitschy Coo for a while now. Me and my sister in law marvel at the gorgeous clothes she makes and the fact that most of them are reversable!! The problem is that we can never decide on one thing to actually buy because we constantly change our minds about what is our favourite. I read Amandas blog yesterday and she had made yet another gorgeous reversable top http://kitschycoo.blogspot.com/2009/06/sleeveless-smocky-take-two.html so I cheekily asked if she was still looking for testers for her patterns and you know what......she was!!



I am now offically a pattern tester for this gorgeous reversable top. How exciting and scary is that?? I have NEVER made any clothes from a pattern before so I am a complete novice. Its a real personal challenge. I'm off to buy some fabric later so I'll keep you updated (minus the swearing that will probably eminate from my sewing room) as we go.

I have had a bit of time to make stuff this week as Jon took the kids off for the afternoon but I ended up feeling a bit despondent. I have so many ideas of things I want to try that I didn't really know where to start. I didn't want to just churn out more of the same so I tried out some new things but none of them really worked. I tried a new way of putting in a zip which was a disaster and made some hairclips which turned out a bit rubbish. I've not got the patience for fiddly stuff! Today tho I'm feeling much more positive. I did actually finish three new baking bags for my folksy shop and I have realised that sometimes you just have to try things and what you learn from them going wrong is just as helpful as getting things right. Its all experience and it doesnt matter if you dont end up with an end 'product'. I have also sold 3 things on folksy this week. A buggy blanket, boys activity bag and and a personalised apron so that has lifted my spirits.




I've also been messing about with ideas for rebranding my shop and redesigning my packaging. I found some great free fonts on this website if anyone is interested. http://www.kevinandamanda.com/fonts/

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely love the things you have made. Good luck with the pattern - gorg dress! And I totally know where you are coming from with worrying about things that have not worked out - I think the prob is we all get such little time to actually do "projects" that when we get five minutes there is a personal pressure to achieve something finished. You are right - even if stuff goes wrong, you've learnt something (even if it seems a pain at the time)! Love the font website!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good look with the pattern. You'll find it a doddle as your sewing skills are first class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine! And I hear you on the experimenting / disappointment front, it's soul destroying when it doesn't work out as you imagine!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...