Sunday, 29 January 2012

Check out my new gadget!

I actually had time to have a go with a new gadget I acquired this week-end. This was a treat to myself from John Lewis. A kit for adding poppers/eyelets etc. In the past I have always had to hammer on poppers which is really frustrating as I usually end up finishing things late at night and have to go on a hunt for the hammer! Its also noisy and generally inconvenient. Well not any more! Now I use my fancy new tool and with one squeeze, the popper is attached. I love it already.



The kit also lets you attach eyelets. The last time I tried to put in an eyelet I broke the tool and it was a complete disaster. This time it worked perfectly at the first attempt. I am so excited!


Izzy was also very excited as she managed to sew on a button all by herself. She even threaded the needle herself and didn't have any help at all with the button. I was so proud of her!

 

I went to a vintage flea market this morning with my friend Debi. I wasn't sure what to expect but it was great. I was quite restrained but couldn't resist this lovely piece of fabric. Its so pretty. Its much more blue than in the photo and I think I might make a skirt for Izzy out of it.



Some lovely ribbon


Some bias binding for dresses


Some doilies. If you look at my Pinterest page you will see why!



Some old postcards for a project Izzy is doing on Isambard Kingdom Brunel


and a lovely skirt which I thought was really old and vintage until I looked at the label and it said Per Una!! It was only £3.50 though so I bought it anyway. Its really pretty



Some lovely new pillowcase dresses arrived this week. The third parcel of dresses from the very kind Pauline. 20 dresses all as pretty as ever in a range of sizes and colours. Gorgeous!








and another 40 dresses from Jo who has sent literally hundreds of dresses. I don't know how she does it!! Again all of the dresses are absolutely beautiful with lovely pockets and little details. Such a treat opening these two parcels. I have learnt so much too from all your different ideas. You can find Jo's blog here





















Don't forget you can still enter my giveaway here to win £50 of Experience Day vouchers to spend as you choose and if you like my blog please can you vote for me for Sewing Blog of the year here. A chance to win some fabric to make more dresses!! 

Forgot to mention that 250 dresses were collected today to start their journey to Malawi. I'm going in to a local college soon to talk to the textiles students about getting involved in making dresses and I'm having my first pillowcase dress workshop with the #Pinaddicts team in March. Exciting times ahead!!

11 comments:

  1. I love your purhcases! I wish I had a good eyelet setter, mine is a right pain! That's great about the dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Dresses are super. I'm out of my splint now and having physio so should be on course to making a few mre dresses soon. I have really missed be able to use my sewing machine. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab buys. I have an old popper but it had rubber rings that held the poppers in place and these perished [I wonder if they sell new replacement ones?].
    Wonderful news about the dresses.
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Izzy and love all those dresses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, I can't wait! Those dresses are amazing x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pleased more dresses are on their way. Well done you! Trying to organise a Dress Day where we are going to try and make as many as possible in a set time. Unfortunately we are busy with a 13th, 18th, 3rd and two Mum's birthdays plus a friends wedding before 20th April! Next suitable date looks like Africa Day in May....quite appropriate though and will give us plenty of time to guilt....I mean cajole (!) people into donating fabric etc. Will keep you posted....well done again! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your little dresses, they are a truly inspired idea and one of the best uses of fabric I have ever seen. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dresses are fabulous! And well done Izzy, clever you! love love love the "vintage" skirt :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sew Cute... I am the Washington State Rep for Dress A Girl... wonderful blog. I also have a blog
    http://sewdelightful.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. He he - I had to look twice at my frocks - its so many weeks since I made them (and I have made another 30 since then) that I had almost forgotten what they looked like. Thanks for blogging them so nicely. You found some fab bargains. I love the skirt -as you say - very retro. x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I have a sweing machine I am going to attempt a dress. But it wont be until after we have moved house i'm afraid.
    :o)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...