Monday, 12 March 2012

Graham Norton I love you!

I am fascinated by social media and what can be achieved using Twitter and facebook. This week in particular it has been invaluable in helping me raise the profile of the 'Dress a Girl' project in lots of different ways. On the advice of a Twitter friend I tweeted Graham Norton about the dresses with a link to my blog. He only went and retweeted it to his 60,000 plus followers!! What a nice man. I have had lots of people contact me on Twitter following the retweet asking how they could help. It was a fantastic way of reaching a much wider audience and just shows the power of the celeb!!  I am now on a celebrity stalking twitter mission (that means you Kirsty Allsop!!). I have heard that Graham Norton regularly retweets charity requests. How kind of him. I hope he realises how useful this is to a charity project and how much it can lift your spirits when it happens. Graham Norton you are lovely and WAY better than Jonathan Ross on a Friday night!!


I am also amazed at the power of facebook. This week I made a great contact with someone visiting a school in Uganda In June. They wanted to take a dress for each of the girls in the school and we talked about how nice it would be for the boys to also receive something. I put out a little request on facebook and twitter and before the day was out I had lots of people offering to make shorts. The lovely Pam had made 3 pairs and put up a photograph for me to see by the end of the day! You can see it here. How amazing is it that within minutes I can link up with like minded people who will respond without thinking to a request to help some of the poorest children in the world. People I have never met before. What a marvelous thing the internet and social networking can be!

If anyone fancies making some shorts, we are looking for shorts to fit boys between the ages of 5 and early teens. They can be any colour and most of the boys are slim build. They will be taken out to Uganda in June along with 150 dresses and delivered to a school. You can find out more about the project here.

12 comments:

  1. What a nice guy he is. :-)
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kinsley Crafts12 March 2012 15:08

    We sent a few shorts for you in the bags from Kinsley Craft Group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes thank you so much! Hope you got my email. The photos will be up on the blog in the next day or two hopefully. Thank you for such a gorgeous parcel of goodies. x

      Delete
  3. WOW!!! The oh so positive side of social media!!! Often watch Graham Norton. Will view him in a different light now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the shorts I've made this week are probably too small - they are more likely to fit toddlers. I had to guess measurements so I'll have to guess a bit larger for the next ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries at all. The smaller ones can go off to different projects like orphanages. They will all get used! Thanks so much for making some. x

      Delete
  5. Ah Graham Norton can do no wrong in my book and this story makes me love him even more. I agree, he's way better than Wossy on a Friday night too! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes we like Graham Norton too. I am blogging my last 30 frocks tomorrow. I might find time for a few pairs of shorts over the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Your last batch of dresses should be up on the blog in the next day or two hopefully! x

      Delete
  7. thats so great and so important to gather memento for this beautiful project. today i saw the photo of the dresses i made on the girls on kenya and my eye got teary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw those photos on Alisons blog. Amazing. You should feel very proud!

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...