Monday, 5 March 2012

March Pinterest Challenge - Modge Podge Madness

Its the second Pinterest Challenge and March is the month of Modge Podge in this house!

Modge Podge is a glue/sealer/varnish that you can use with paper and fabric to stick it down and then seal it like varnish. I bought some ages ago but never got round to actually using it. I thought the Pinterest challenge would be a great way to make me actually do something with it and once I came across this picture on Pinterest I knew this is what I would be making....




Unfortunately the link to the tutorial seemed to be broken so I kind of had to make it up as I went along. This is my version. What do you think?




I'm pretty pleased with it. Its just a bog standard storage drawer from IKEA with some paper that I got free from a crafting magazine. I just drew around the front of the each drawer on the back of the paper and then glued it on and painted over it with Modge Podge. There are a few little blemishes but you can't really see them unless you look really closely. I think it just takes practice to make sure there are no air bubbles. I love it!

I got a bit carried away with the whole idea of Modge Podge so also decided to make these....



Here are my versions. I used a mixture of paper and fabric on the pegs which were plain wooden pegs from Waitrose. I'm sure you can probably get them in most pound shops. Again I just drew around the peg on the paper or fabric and then glued it on before sealing it. I read somewhere that if using fabric you should paint it with Modge Podge first and let it dry before using it as this makes it more like paper to use and less likely to fray. It seemed to work pretty well on the pegs doing it this way.



I'm using them to keep small lengths of ribbon tidy in my sewing room


I'm also using them with blue tac to hang up pictures that the children have made. You could also stick magnets on the back and use them on the fridge to hold bits and bobs.



As usual I have also roped in my other half to do the Pinterest challenge. Men should craft too! He choose this project. A bit more masculine than the cake stand I made him complete last month!




and Jon's finished version. Pretty good I would say!




The lovely Melksham Mum is hosting the Pinterest linky this month. Its open from today for a week. You just need to pin something on Pinterest, make it, blog about it and then link up your blog on Melkshams Mums blog. Don't forget to have a look at everyone elses 'makes' too. There will be a prize for one lucky entrant. We will be tweeting too so come and join us using the hashtag #pinaddicts. There is also a facebook page. If you don't have a blog you can just email us a photo and we will put it on the facebook page.

Happy Making!

26 comments:

  1. I've just started getting into Pinterest. These are very cool. I paint clothes pins with acrylic paints and I love doing this - very relaxing!

    Hugs,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely drawers! and Brill idea for ribbon clips!... I had heard Modge Podge bandied about but nobody had actually explained what it was!! Must get some!
    Daizy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had some for ages but never used it. I think you can also use watered down white pva glue for similar results. Much cheaper!

      Delete
  3. The last time I was in the States, I bought a HUGE jar and brought it back with me! I looove the clothespins! I might have to break open the Mod Podge and get cracking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore the drawers and am so going to buy a pot of modge podge. Also love the owl fabric/paper on your pegs. And as for Jon, well he is giving us a run for our money isn't he?!
    Double well done to you both x x
    Will he be joining us for our sewing tutorial?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. He draws the line at sewing and hasn't lived down the cake stand yet!! I have banished him from the house for the day for our sewing tutorial!!

      Delete
  5. 've done the same to my ikea drawers (of course because I saw someone do it on Pinterest) they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I freaking LOVE you guys!!!!!!!!!!

    I want to make EVERYTHING you've made... I gots to finds me some modge podge!

    Awesome Awesome Awesome...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks. You can have mine. I'm a bit modge podged out now!!

      Delete
  7. Great work, love the pegs!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome stuff love a bit of Modge Podge - although I use the cheap waterered down PVA glue and it's pretty darn good!
    Love those drawers I've wanted to do them for ages!
    Good work hubs too... love a bit of organisation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely work with modge podge. I bought a bottle meaning to modge pdoge an old tray but I keep forgetting. Hoping to remember after this :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the little Ikea drawers, I have a plain set too and a very similar link pinned myself, maybe that should be my challenge for next month! The clothes pegs are gorgeous too and I love the jars. I joined the challenge to try and work through my pins but I keep finding new things to do to inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all this stuff! I used Mod Podge too and it is amazing but my OH insisted that it was just PVA glue and I am testing out the same thing today to see the difference - would save a lot of money if it was! I used half a tub on my creation! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love modge podge and my pin this month is a modge podge one too. I made pegs with decorative masking tape, dead simple and really effective.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love them Ikea draws I have done many craft things with them, they are so versatile aren't they. Great what you have done, love the jar project too, handy to put all them tiny bits and bobs in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Some lovely makes. I have yet to try modge podge but really need to if your projects are anything to go by! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! So many lovely makes here. I have yet to try Modge Podge but think I really need to now! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. They're all so pretty! I'll have to get me some Mod Plodge - keep seeing it on craft blogs. Think I'll def make the covered pegs x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been wondering about mod podge too... and pinned quite a few 'recipes'... prehaps a future #pinaddicts make??

    I must say I am quite fond of the jar toppers... might have to give them a go!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ARGH I am having PALPITATIONS over your jar lids!!!! There is no way this craft will pass me buy.
    And I LOVE your pegs. A great tip on doing a glue layer on the fabric first. I have only used ribbons for peg decorating but now I see a whole world of potential if the fabric acts like paper. WOOOP!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am totally having palpitations over your jar lids! They are amaaazing! I am so getting on that craft. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the little drawers and the crafts lids are fab too! Can't imagine my fella getting involved doing anything remotely like this!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...