Friday, 17 August 2012

Ghana via Twitter

This is a story about the power of Twitter for good!

A lovely lady called Gwen contacted me via Twitter wondering if I could donate some dresses to an orphanage she was visiting in Ghana. It sounded like just the sort of place the dresses should go. Gwen put me in touch with her friend Sophie who was also visiting the orphanage and she very kindly dropped round to collect 40 dresses to take with them. Sophie has very kindly let me have some photos of the dresses being distributed and worn by the girls to share. Gwen is still in Ghana working at the orphanage as we speak.















The lovely Sophie and Gwen with some of the children.















Sophie and Gwen have both written blogs during their time in Ghana which give a real insight into the lives of the children at the orphanage. Please go and have a look as there are also lots more photos of the day to day life of the children. Sophies blog is here and Gwen's blog is here.

If you want to make a donation to the orphanage you can do so through either Sophie or Gwen. They will make sure that the money gets to the orphanage.

They also sent me this lovely video clip of the girls saying thank you.

9 comments:

  1. Hello! I love what you're doing and have just taken up sewing so will hopefully be able to make you some dresses soon. I hope you don't mind me asking but how do you make sure children don't get left out? Do you wait until there are enough dresses for a whole school/orphanage/village? Thanks lots
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, Thanks for your comment. I am guided by the people taking the dresses as to how many they can take really. Sometimes it is constrained by how many they can physically carry or by the airline baggage allowances. They usually try and take enough for all the children in the projects they are visiting but I guess its not always possible for everyone to get something sadly. If there is not enough for every child, they would liaise with staff at the school/orphanage etc to make sure the most needy children receive something. Louise x

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Hopefully some dresses will be coming too you soon once I have had a bit of practice!
      Jenny

      Delete
  2. Hi Louise - what a lovely blog. It really is exciting to see where our little frocks have ended up. What a brilliant job Sophie and Gwen are doing. I have some fabric for boys shorts so I must get going again soon. x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see a few familiar makes in those pictures :-) Thank you so much for sharing them.
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely ~ thanks for sharing these pictures and the story behind them ~ I have more dresses ready to go, am planning to stitch some shorts and will post them all to you together :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post! It's great to see the dresses being worn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful happy children in their beautiful dresses.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from you! If you ask a question I will reply underneath your comment as soon as I can so please come back and check. Please feel free to 'pin' any of the projects I have made. I love Pinterest!!